Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Need Advice


I have a Muslim student who sleeps in class, does not attempt any work, and DEMANDS  passing grades. After he sleeps in my class, he will then come to lunch tutoring the follow day and DEMAND that I teach him again. He will say things like “you’re the teacher and you have to teach me.” My response was usually “okay fine.” However, lately my response has been: “I’m sorry _____, you chose to sleep in class, (which was your scheduled time to learn this material), and so I’m not going to help you during my lunch hour today.” 

To continue with this story, this student is now purposely sleeping through chapter exams/quiz, and then waits for me to grade the other kids exams (and pass them back), so that he can look at his classmates exam to get the answers – and then he’ll come into my classroom during lunch to complete the exam and ACE a ten question test in 5 minuets. I have clearly caught on to his little act, so when he did it a week ago, I gave him a different exam when he came to lunch (different questions). OH BOY was he mad – he started yelling at me saying that this isn’t fair and that he should be allowed to take the same exam as the other students (blah, blah, blah). SO then he pulls out a $100 bill from his wallet and tells me to take his money so that I can pass him for graduation ! ! When I refused the money he then pulled out a really expensive digital camera as hands it to me “as a future wedding gift”!  I then asked who’s camara that was, and he said “it doesn’t matter, but it’s not mine.”  WHAT ON EARTH SHOULD  I DO WITH THIS CHILD? ? ? I have called Mom multiple times, and even spoke with the guidance councilor. The other concern I have is where on earth did he get $100 bill and the camera from ? ? If anyone is reading this blog, I could really use some advice. I am ready to give-up OR blow-up on this student (neither of which I want to do).

4 comments:

  1. Ooops I just responded and didn't type in the word to have it posted. Make sure you don't give in to his "demands". You need to be the one in charge. Your agreeing at times, lets him know it is okay to demand things of you. Does he have an IEP? If not, why is he being given extra chances to do his work? We want to help our students but we don't want to give one student privileges over another. If he has an IEP, that is a different situation.

    Why are you giving back tests if you know he looks at the answers? Hold all of the students tests until he has taken it. Is he new to the school? If not, talk to his previous teacher. Are you his only teacher? If not, talk to his other teachers to see how they deal with his behavior issues. Keep data on this student. If he doesn't have a BIP, he may need one. What does he like in your classroom that you could have him earn? Is there something you could give to all your students and not give to him if he doesn't earn it? You will need to be firm. He needs to understand that you are the one in charge and he can earn and lose privileges. It is not easy, but you need to be assertive and consistent with him.

    As for the money and expensive items, I would talk to the guidance counselor and if that doesn't help, talk to your administrator. Good luck. I know his behaviors must be very frustrating for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I read this does seem to have gone to far. You did more than you need to do. You have been too nice from what you wrote. I'm assuming there is more to the story. I agree you should talk to the guidance counselor, however, it doesn't seem like she is being much help from what you wrote so you might have to talk to the administrator. However, take notes of every little detail because this child can turn this story on you.

    One recommendation is writing daily what this child does in your class. Also, on test day you should give him the choices, do it or fail. No retake. If he does have an IEP then that teacher should be consulted because changes need to be made. You can also make a behavior contract. I know sometime our job situation dictates how we approach things but you need to protect yourself and you cannot be afraid if you have done nothing wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the others. Stand your ground and don't give in. Document everything when it comes to this student and make sure you follow the appropriate procedures regarding his inappropriate behavior. Did you write a referral? I think you should have for documentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I am reading this so late. All I can say is wow!! How long have you been teaching? I can't imagine having something like this happen next year in my first year of teaching. It sounds like you have handled it close to how I would have. You must have a similar philosophy towards students and always trying to help them succeed. I had a student sleep through one of my test in my internship and I let him take it after school. I didn't pass back the test yet but that was probably just because I didn't have it graded yet. Keep supporting your students the way you do and just try to handle this situation with tons of documentation to cover yourself.

    ReplyDelete